Specialist Task Force 525:
Intelligent Transports Systems Interoperability Validation Framework
Who we are:
- Yann Garcia, FSCOM SARL, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Denis Filatov, EURL Filatov DV, email@example.com
- Sebastian Bode, IAV GmbH Ingenieurgesellschaft Auto und Verkehr, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lénard Nagy, Ericsson Telefonaktiebolaget LM, email@example.com
- Naum Spaseski, Easy Global Market SAS, firstname.lastname@example.org
What we do
The objective of STF525 is to define a project proposal for an ITS Interoperability Validation Framework. ITS equipment vendors and vehicle manufacturers are preparing for Cooperative ITS deployment by 2019 according to the Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area. This STF will support the ITS deployment phase by providing:
• A set of standardized interoperability test specifications for V2X Applications, CAM, DENM as well as GeoNetworking functionality.
• A framework which will allow to run end-to-end interoperability test scenarios while at the same time assessing compliance of the air interface of all ITS-S devices.
The ITS Interoperability Validation Framework shall be built and validated for a selected number of use cases from ITS deployment projects such as SCOOP@F, Compass4D, i-GAME, AutoNet2030 and the Cooperative ITS Corridor.
Furthermore, the test scenarios defined in the C-ITS PlugtestsTM Interoperability Guide, shall be integrated with the ITS Interoperability Validation Framework, so that in future Plugtests the test scenarios can be run in an automated way.
The ITS Interoperability Validation Framework follows the principles of:
• test automation
• support for various types of testing (conformance and interoperability testing)
• flexible adaption to proprietary interfaces
• remote testing
• over the air interface triggering and observation
For more details, see our Terms of Reference
Why we do it
Security and Interoperability are key factor that enables the use of new technologies and provides all benefits attached to them, such as competitiveness, innovation and reliability.
ITS technologies are becoming more and more complex, collaborative and interdependent. Furthermore, ITS systems are often specified by multiple standards from different standardization development organisations (SDOs). These factors potentially lead to non-interoperability standards. The development of products that rely on non-interoperable standards, can eventually result in fragmented markets, all of which can impact trustability.
Various measures can significantly improve the reliability and interoperability of complex systems such as ITS. The development of test specifications for conformance and interoperability can be coupled with validation activities, such as building prototype test systems. Likewise, the prototype test systems can be used at interoperability events. Consequently, the project contributes to the effort of testing and validation ITS systems with the goal to bring the ITS systems to a stage where end users trust the services provided.
How we do it
Most of the work will be arranged in sessions based at the ETSI HQ. However, some of the activity may also be performed at the base of offices of the providers as well as via online working. The frequency of the F2F sessions will be agreed with the STF Leader and the ETSI secretariat. Progress reporting will be to TC ITS as all the work items are to be anchored in TC ITS. However, there may also be direct contact with related WGs (e.g. ITS/WG1) on occasion and for any interim steering.
Relevant documents from the stakeholders may be considered on demand. For this purpose, the STF will make regular reports on the progress to the relevant ETSI technical bodies as well as in the open events where stakeholders are present. The methodology of such reporting activities will be:
• The STF will make regular reports at relevant WG meetings and TC meetings of ETSI TC ITS and share deliverable drafts so that ETSI members in the WGs will able to provide comments and relevant documents for consideration.
• The STF may participate to open workshops or EU project open events to promote the STF work and report on the progress in order to receive comments and feedback from external stakeholders. If necessary, ETSI CTI may represent the STF in the workshop.
The following standards are applicable to this proposed project:
• ETSI EG 202 798: “ITS Framework for conformance and interoperability testing”
• ETSI ES 201 873 Series: “The Testing and Test Control Notation version 3 (TTCN-3)”
• ETSI EG 202 237: “Generic methodology for Interoperability Testing”
• ISO 9646 Series: “Framework and Methodology for Conformance Testing”
Relevant standards as described in ETSI TR 101 607 V1.1.1; “Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS); Cooperative ITS (C-ITS); Release 1”
List of STF525 deliverables:
||TS 103 192-1
|| Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS); Testing; Interoperability test specifications for ITS V2X use cases; Part 1 - Test requirements and Interoperability Feature Statement (IFS) proforma
|| TR 103 193
|| Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS); Testing; Interoperability test specifications for ITS V2X use cases; Architecture of ITS Interoperability Validation Framework
|| TS 103 192-2
|| Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS); Testing; Interoperability test specifications for ITS V2X use cases; Part 2 - Test Suite Structure and Test Purposes (TSS&TP)
|| TS 103 192-3
|| Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS); Testing; Interoperability test specifications for ITS V2X use cases; Part 3 - Abstract Test Suite (ATS) and Protocol Implementation eXtra Information for Testing (PIXIT)
The STF time plan includes the following milestones:
|| DTS/ITS-00147 Test Suite Structure and Test Purposes (TSS&TP) – Stable draft
|| DTS/ITS-00146 Architecture of ITS Interoperability Validation Framework – Stable draft
|| Progress Report. Drafts of deliverables D2 and D3 available for review. Progress Report approved by ITS#27 (26-30 Jun 2017). Documents must be uploaded on the TC docbox at least two weeks before the start of the TC plenary.
|| DTS/ITS-00145 Abstract Test Suite (ATS) and Protocol Implementation eXtra Information for Testing (PIXIT) – Stable draft
|| Test Framework Codec and Adapter included in DTS/ITS-00146
|| Interim Report. All deliverables and the Interim Report must be contributed to the TC ITS portal for information.
|| DTS/ITS-00144 Test requirements and Interoperability Feature Statement (IFS) proforma – Stable draft
|| Validation and final draft DTS/ITS-00145
|| Progress Report. Final versions of deliverables D1, D2, D3 and D4 available for approval. Progress Report approved by ITS#31. Documents must be uploaded on the TC docbox at least two weeks before the start of the TC plenary.
|| Final Report and all deliverables approved by TC ITS and published
For further details, or if you wish to be involved in the work of the STF, please contact the STF Leader by email
This information is based upon STF working assumptions.
The views expressed do not necessarily represent the position of ETSI in this context.