Terms of Reference (ToR) for
Access, Terminals, Transmission and Multiplexing (ATTM) Working Group AT2 - Infrastructure, Physical Networks & Communication Systems
Approved at ATTM#24
The Working Group AT2 (Infrastructure, Physical Networks & Communication Systems) in TC ATTM is responsible for the creation, development and maintenance of standards including all aspects within the ETSI scope covering cabling, installations, communications systems and network services implementation.
Areas of activity
Within the above scope, WG AT2 is responsible for standardisation of:
- Operational aspects of implementation and deployment of sustainable digital multiservice network solutions in the field and monitoring of operational ICT until end of life (including waste management).
- Operational KPIs to monitor global sustainability of ICT deployed network services & networks in the field (e.g. Global KPIs).
WG AT2 will work on customer and operator networks (e.g. home, access, and core networking) and will produce:
- Standardisation work on general engineering of ICT networks and sites.
- Specifications of network topology and functional requirements.
- Specifications of transmission related to optical components, especially optical fibres and passive components.
- Specifications of requirements for optical fibre and optical cable characteristics related to transmission system performance.
- Specifications of functional and physical characteristics of interfaces, including allocations of overheads.
- Standardisation work on transmission network protection and future proof.
- Standardisation work on operational sustainability management (e.g. objective and global KPIs, operational end of life).
WG AT2 is responsible for the production and maintenance of ETSI deliverables for digital infrastructures within its scope excluding integrated broadband cable and television networks.
A close cooperation and collaboration will be maintained between:
- WG AT2 and TC EE in areas of control and monitoring of energy efficiency, method of measurements and technical KPIs for energy efficiency, environmental impact assessment and management (i.e. Life Cycle Assessment, Circular Economy, e-waste management).
- WG AT2 and TC CABLE in areas of common interest.
WG AT2 also closely collaborates with the Technical Body(ies) (TB) responsible for Communications Networking and Services and the exact border line between the activities will be adapted to the members’ needs by collaboration between the TCs and ETSI Board.
WG AT2 studies the applicability and implementation of ISO / IEC / CENELEC as well as ITU / ETSI drafts and deliverables related to the Residential, Professional, Industrial and Operators’ premises including communication equipment. The activities cover all relevant influences from other organizations, coordination, convergence and standardization of the various initiatives and an efficient liaising effort with relevant bodies.
WG AT2 will have ETSI experts and will facilitate participation of CEN and CENELEC delegates to contribute to standardisation work (e.g. CENELEC/TC 215).
WG AT2 primarily focuses on:
- Attracting and enhancing expertise with the objective to develop and maintain ETSI deliverables on all aspects of infrastructures and transmission within its scope.
- Where requested by another ETSI TB, support their work on infrastructures and transmission aspects.
Within its scope, WG AT2 addresses the specific technology, equipment, installations and regulatory aspects of the physical layer, e.g. of:
- Analogue and digital presented Communication interfaces of balanced wired (twisted pair), in-building PLT (Power Line Telecommunications) and optical fiber Infrastructures.
- Interfaces based on new technologies as far as they are relevant for Communication Infrastructures.
- Specification of the transmission functions and performance of the network elements such as transmission paths, path elements, sections, systems, functional entities, cable and optical fiber.
Technologies addressed include inter alia:
- Copper and Fibre digital technologies concerning terminals and their accesses (e.g. xDSL, FTTH, FTTO).
- Leased lines (electrical and optical) and fibre transmission systems.
- Control and management aspects of other applications in customer’s premises.
Applications include inter alia:
- Aspects of the Communications part of broadcast link.
- Specification of functional requirements for transmission equipment, including line equipment, multiplexers and cross-connectors.
- Specification of optical aspects of transmission systems.
- Specification for network jitter, delay and synchronization in transmission networks.
Within its scope, WG AT2 will:
- advise the relevant ESO bodies on transmission aspects of service requirements.
- work on end to end transmission over networks in support of customer’s applications.
- support the development of appropriate interfaces to network based services always in collaboration with relevant TB.
Additionally WG AT2, under the leadership of TC ATTM will contribute to the promotion at a global level of the existing ETSI deliverables to the development of a consistent approach to standardization of emerging technologies and services with a view towards producing global standards.
Annex (informative): collaboration with other bodies
WG AT2 will set-up the appropriate communication channels to the following groups both within and outside of ETSI.
- Broadband Forum
- ISO/IEC JTC1 (SC25 – SC39)
- TM Forum