Powers and functions delegated to the Board
Version adopted by General Assembly #73, 3 April 2019
1. Communicating quickly relevant information, including all Board
decisions, to all members.
2. Providing progress reports to the General Assembly.
3. In cases where members have intervened in routine applications for
membership circulated by correspondence, considering that such applications
and advising the General Assembly as to the category of membership and the
class of contribution.
4. Advising the General Assembly on broad standardization policies and
keeping under review the responsiveness, efficiency, timeliness and quality
of the prevailing standardization arrangements.
5. Considering the framework of agreements with bodies external to ETSI
and advising the Director‑General on requirements for such agreements.
6. Considering requirements for ETSI Partnership Projects and making
proposals to the General Assembly.
7. Deciding upon the commissioning of work by ETSI Partnership Projects
from the Technical Committees, provided the content of the work is in full
conformance with decisions previously taken by the General Assembly.
8. Dealing with problems relating to the starting date and duration of a
Standstill, or any other matter concerned with Standstill arising from
Article 13.3 of the Rules of Procedure (general principles for the provision
9. Taking decisions relating to the intermediate stages in the
preparation of draft standards, referred to it by bodies within the
Technical Organization concerning matters which they have been unable to
10. Using its best endeavours to resolve disputes arising from the
application of the Rules of Procedure, and appeals from members on
11. Using its best endeavours to resolve disputes arising at the level of
the Technical Organization, and decide on other matters referred to it by
bodies within the Technical Organization.
12. Where appropriate, using its best endeavours to decide on complaints
made by non-members concerning ETSI deliverables.
13. Taking decisions on and regularly reviewing the ETSI Work Programme,
the priorities within it by considering user relevance as one of the key
parameters, commissioning appropriate advice from other parts of the ETSI
14. Taking decisions within the financial framework adopted by the
General Assembly concerning the Funded and Voluntary Work Programmes,
including the creation and ETSI funding of Specialist Task Forces, in both
cases noting the total resources required and approving the timetable.
15. Advising the General Assembly on the financial and other resource
implications resulting from the approval of, or changes to, the ETSI Work
16. Taking due account of the implications for the work of the Institute,
providing authorization to move non-committed funds between budget lines
within the approved budget, and non-committed funds between Technical
Committees, ETSI Projects, Industry Specification Groups, Coordination Groups and, where
relevant, ETSI Partnership Projects, within the Technical Organization,
Specialist Task Forces, Secretariat and pre-standardization activities.
17. Depending upon the other delegated functions, deciding on the
resource framework within which the Technical Organization operates.
18. Overseeing the ETSI Organization and ensuring that it operates
effectively, and making proposals for changes.
19. Considering the recommendations for new standardization areas, projects and
regulatory requirements which could appear in the
ETSI Organization (Technical Bodies, Secretariat, other ETSI groups).
20. Taking decisions on the creation or cessation of Technical Committees
and ETSI Projects, approving their terms of reference and reviewing their
progress and work programmes.
21. On proposal of the body concerned, appointing the Chairmen of the
Technical Committees and ETSI Projects.
22. Proposing to the General Assembly the creation and ETSI funding of
Specialist Task Forces for defined tasks and limited periods, which fall
outside of the adopted financial framework.
23. Setting up Special Committees as required in accordance with Article
7 of the Rules of Procedure.
24. Taking decisions on the approval, maintenance and application of the
Technical Working Procedures.
25. Advising the Director-General concerning decisions on the creation,
progress and cessation of ISGs.
an annual "ETSI Strategy" for approval by the General Assembly.
Overseeing the implementation of the approved "ETSI Strategy" with
respect to topics falling within the existing Powers and Functions of the
Board; or where specifically delegated by the General Assembly.
the implementation of annual and multi-annual projects and ensuring their
compliance with user needs, in particular those required to support the Technical Organization and ETSI's standardization activities, or others as
delegated by the General Assembly.
28. Preparing Budget Guidelines annually for approval by the first
General Assembly in the year, in co-operation with the Director-General and
the Finance Committee.
29. Approving applications from new Partners in ETSI Partnership Projects where the applicant is a body with
whom ETSI already has an established General Assembly approved Co-operation
30. Taking decisions on the creation or termination of Coordination Groups, approving their Terms of Reference and reviewing their progress and work programme.
31. Taking decision of ETSI’s participation in, or withdrawal from, Coordination Groups initiated by external bodies, approving their Terms of Reference and reviewing their progress and work programme.
32. Taking decision on the withdrawal of a published EN, HS, ES, EG, TS, TR or SR produced by a TB, which has subsequently been terminated, and for which maintenance of its deliverables has not been assigned to any other TB.
33. Reviewing and advising the Director-General on the technical testing roadmap and the priorities for TTFs.
Last updated: 2019-05-28 15:22:09