Terms of Reference for Technical Committee (TC) Methods for Testing and Specification (MTS)
Revised and approved at ETSI Board#94
- MTS is responsible for the identification and
definition of advanced specification and testing methods, which
take advantage of innovative techniques to improve the
efficiency and economics of both the standard description and
associated conformance and interoperability testing processes.
- Methodologies are established, in co-operation
with the relevant Technical Committees, for use in the
development of standards, and of testing specifications,
- In the definition of specification methods and
languages, the applicability of existing international standards
to the requirements of ETSI standardization will be considered.
- MTS is the steering committee for the definition of the
methodologies for "Centre for Testing and Interoperability
(CTI)". Together with CTI, TC MTS develops the background
material for the use within the CTI group. MTS does field trials
and pilot applications of new methods, in order to make sure
that they are ready for the daily life at ETSI
The scope includes:
- Evaluation of available method and techniques for the
advanced and/or formal specification of standards with respect
to efficiency and quality, with particular regard to testability;
- Development of methodologies related to testing.
- Guidelines on the use of selected methods,
- Methodologies for the specification of standards including
test suites, i.e. specialized languages, definition of proformas
- Methodologies for the generation, processing and
verification of specifications, including specifications of test
- Methodologies for the execution of tests and analysis of
- Including standardization of test suites common to different
TB. The development of test suites is done in close
collaboration with other concerned TBs, when required and agreed
to by the concerned TBs and existing work should be taken into
account. If the development is specific to a particular TB, it
will normally stay in the TB.
- Assistance to ETSI Secretariat regarding ETSI positions on
Testing and Certification, both internally and externally.
- Specification of the required environment for testing,
covering operational and procedural aspects
Responsibility outside ETSI:
- Maintain technical liaison, be it informally or formally, with ITU-T SG
17 and other relevant bodies.
- Maintain a close co-operation with other relevant bodies on
conformance and interoperability testing methodology, up to joint interest
in selected work items and Specialist Task Forces.