Terms of Reference for Technical Committee (TC) Broadband Radio Access Networks (BRAN)
Approved by Board#109, 14 September 2016
TC BRAN is the core competence centre within ETSI for broadband radio access networks. TC BRAN is responsible for all aspects of standardization for present and future broadband radio access networks including wireless access as defined in Recommendation ITU-R F.1399-1.
Areas of activity
TC BRAN has the primary responsibility for the production and the approval of deliverables for broadband radio access networks related areas such as:
- lower layer protocols;
- architectures, transmission and inter-working aspects;
- aspects of transport network interfaces related to architectures and protocols;
- Harmonised Standards addressing standardisation requests adopted under Regulation (EU) No 1025/2012 on European Standardisation;
- test specifications.
BRAN closely follows the standardization work in other bodies, and maintains active liaisons to other ETSI Technical Bodies as well as to other external bodies as required for ongoing work. The following list includes such bodies:
- ETSI TC ERM (EMC and Radio Spectrum Matters);
- ETSI TC ATTM (Access, Terminals, Transmission and Multiplexing);
- ETSI TC ITS (Intelligent Transport Systems);
- ETSI TC RRS (Reconfigurable Radio Systems);
- ETSI TC MSG and MSG/ERM TFES;
- IEEE-SA (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers Standards Association), especially working group IEEE 802.11;
- IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force);
- ITU-R (International Telecommunications Union - Radio Sector).