STQ Activity Report 2018-2019
Chairman: Hans Wilhelm Gierlich , HEAD acoustics GmbH
Responsible for standardization relating to terminals and networks for speech and media quality, end-to-end single media and multimedia transmission performance, Quality of Service (QoS) parameters for networks and services and Quality of Experience (QoE) descriptors and methods.
Our Speech and Multimedia Transmission Quality committee (TC STQ) is responsible for standardization relating to terminals and networks for speech and media quality, end-to-end media transmission performance, Quality of Service (QoS) parameters for networks and services and Quality of Experience (QoE) descriptors and methods. With our Working Group STQ Mobile, the committee works closely with 3GPP and collaborates with other standards organizations.
In 2018 we revised four specifications on transmission requirements for narrowband/wideband wireless terminals from a QoS perspective as perceived by the user. We also revised two related specifications on transmission requirements for super-wideband/full-band terminals.
With our Working Group STQ Mobile we published several deliverables, collaborating as needed with 3GPP SA as well as ITU-T Study Groups 12 and 16. Accordingly we published two new Technical Specifications. The first specifies methodologies for simulating reverberation conditions to be used for the measurement of communication devices. The second considers DTMF (Dual-Tone Multi Frequency) transmission over VoIP using RTP (Real-time Transport Protocol) Telephony Events. A further Technical Report evaluates multimedia communication performance from the perspective of user under parallel physical and/or mental load.
STQ Mobile also revised several deliverables while publishing one new specification and four new reports. A TS which is an addition to the related multipart: Quality of Service (QoS) aspects for popular services in mobile networks; Part 8: Formalized definition of QoS parameters and their computation; Sub-part 1: General aspects and terminology. This sub-part specifies a consistent terminology for the formalized definition of QoS parameters and their computation.
The first Technical Report (TR) on Mobile Network Throughput Measurements Guidelines provides a holistic view of the measurement process, featuring a selection of methodologies as well as post-processing and data aggregation aspects. The second TR on multi-service testing provides a top-level approach which is also scalable with respect to new services. The third TR discusses QoS aspects of services related to the 5G ecosystem. The fourth discusses QoS aspects of services related to the Internet of Things (IoT) ecosystem from an end-to-end perspective.
TC STQ submitted a successful proposal for an ETSI funded STF (Specialist Task Force) on Methods for Objective assessment of Listening Effort (MOLE) based on subjective test data bases – MOLE Project Step 1. This activity will allow progress in developing the methodology regarding intelligibility for hearing impaired users.
Preparation started for a workshop on Emerging Services for Speech and Audio. Topics include smart home, voice assistant and IoT devices; the impact of super wideband and full-band on design, testing and optimization strategies; signal processing between voice commands and speech recognition; user perspectives on media and acoustic testing; and the impact of new 5G services.
LOOK OUT FOR IN 2019 – TC STQ WORK IN PROGRESS:
- Revisions to ETSI Standards (ES) on transmission requirements for wideband/narrowband VoIP loudspeaking & handsfree / handset & headset terminals from QoS perspective
- Revision to ES on transmission requirements for IP-based narrowband and wideband home and network media gateways from QoS perspective
- Technical Specification (TS) on evaluation of echo impairments
- TS on subjective test methodologies for evaluation of echo control systems
- Technical Report (TR) on assessing statistical properties of benchmarking and scoring results
- TS on test methods and performance requirements for active noise cancellation headsets
- TR on timeslicing KPIs for RTP based speech transmission
- TS on new ETSI speech codec developed with TC DECT
- TS on transmission requirements for wearable wireless wideband terminals
- TR on best practices for robust network QoS benchmark testing and ranking
- TS on methods for objective assessment of listening effort and quality
- Revision to TS on methods for reproducing reverberation for communication device measurements
- TS on methods and procedures for evaluating performance of voice-controlled devices and functions / voice assistants
- TS on QoS aspects of mission critical applications; definition of parameters and measurement methodology for mission critical applications
- Revision to TS on speech quality in the presence of background noise: objective test methods for super-wideband and full-band terminals
- Revision to TS on sound field reproduction method for terminal testing including a background noise database
- Revision to TS on reference benchmarking, background traffic profiles & KPIs
- TS on QoS aspects for popular services in mobile networks
- Revision to TS on telephony for hearing impaired people; characteristics of telephone sets providing additional receiving amplification