ESI Activity Report 2020
Main activities for 2020:
- Supported by STF 588 ETSI ESI has carried out a survey of identity proofing solutions in Europe and around the world reported in ETSI TR 119 460.This is used of the basis of a draft technical specification TS 119 461 for identity proofing to verify claimed identities at registration on trusted services such as signing certificates, electronic identities and, potentially, banking services which is currently under public review.
- ETSI ESI has extended its range of signature format standards for digital signatures aimed atsupporting European advanced electronic signature to include a signature format based on JSON Web Signatures (IETF RFC 7515) called JAdES TS 119 182-1.
- ETSI has carried out maintenance work on a number of its existing standards including:
- EN 319 401 on general policy requirements for trust services
- EN 319 411-1 and EN 319 411-2 on policy requirements for issuing certificates
- EN 319 412 on certificate profiles
- EN 319 403-1 on requirements for conformity assessment of trust service providers following on ETSI standards for trust services, with additional parts in TS 119 403-2 for publicly trusted services and TS 119 403-2 qualified trust services.
- Following the survey of global PKI based trust services and their adoption of ETSI standards ETSI ESI has had regular discussion with liaison representatives from Japan, ASIA PKI and the Arab ICT organisation about future harmonisation of their trust services with EU standards.
- TC ESI has published TS 119 512 on the Protocols for trust service providers providing long-term data preservation services.
- TC ESI has started development of a schema for cataloguing acceptable cryptographic algorithms in a machine-readable form that can be used by implementations to control the algorithms that may be used.
- TC ESI has started work with Open Banking Europe on the internationalisation of the current EU centred standard for payment services TS 119 495.
Activities currently planned for 2021 include:
- Completion of TS 119 461 for identity proofing to verify claimed identities at registration on trusted services such as signing certificates, electronic identities and, potentially, banking services following feedback from public review.
- Plug tests for on the JAdES TS 119 182-1 signature format based on JSON Web signatures RFC 7515.
- Completion of updates for the internationalisation of the current EU centred standard for payment services TS 119 495.
- Updates to signature policy requirements for Qualified Website Authentication Certificates in EN 319 411-1 and associated certificate profile in EN 319 412-4.
- Updates to the interoperability profile for Registered Electronic Mail (REM) in EN 319 532-4
- Completion of update to EN 319 102-1 on procedures for AdES signature creation and validation
- Completion of TS 119172-4 and TS 119 615 on signature policy requirements for EU qualified signatures and use of EU Trusted list.
- Development of a multipart document on extended validation procedures for AdES signatures to be TS 119 102-3 sub-parts 1 to 4.
- Completion of a standard for augmentation of signatures to maintain their validity in TS 119 451
In addition, ETSI TC ESI expects to start a number of new work items in relation to the revision of the eIDAS regulation including support for a European Digital Identity.
A list of all the standards and reports published by ETSI TC ESI is given at: